Food and Drink Policy
The DePaul University Library is committed to
providing an environment that is conducive to study as well as to the
protection of library materials, technology, and furnishings. Responsible stewardship of library collections, in particular, requires that we exercise care in allowing food and drink in library facilities. All users of the library should respect the following guidelines in terms of consuming food and drink in the library.
- Snack foods and covered beverages are allowed in most areas of the library.
- Meals are not permitted in the library and should be consumed in nearby food services areas such as the Schmitt Academic Center (Lincoln Park Campus) or the 11th floor of the DePaul Center (Loop Campus).
- Deliveries of food to the library are not permitted, with exceptions for scheduled, catered events taking place in the library.
- The library prohibits the consumption of food while using university computers or other technology (such as copiers, scanners, plotters, etc.) and in the book stacks.
- No food is allowed in the O'Neil Reading Room (Richardson Library, 3rd floor).
- No food is allowed in library instruction rooms (Richardson Library 109, 110, 417; Loop Library 10028).
- No food or drink is allowed in the Department of Special Collections and Archives.
Guidelines for the Consumption of Snack Foods and Covered Beverages in Libraries:
In order to conserve library resources and provide a comfortable environment for all, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Snack and covered beverages are permitted in most areas (see above). Meals or messy, noisy or strong-smelling foods are not permitted.
- Only covered beverages are permitted in the book stacks and near university-funded technology.
- Unattended food and/or beverages are subject to being disposed by staff.
- Clean up any spills right away, and alert library staff to any spills or messes requiring further attention.
- Properly dispose of all food, trash, and recycling in appropriate receptacles, as food residue attracts insects and rodents.
Possession and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages
Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is not allowed in any library facility, with exceptions for of-age guests at approved library events.
The DePaul University Library reserves the right to ask any user to remove his/her food and/or drink from the library if in the judgement of the staff it constitutes a violation of this policy. Failure to comply with posted restrictions or staff instructions regarding the consumption of food and drink constitutes a violation of the Patron Conduct Policy. If patrons become belligerent or refuse to follow staff instructions in regard to the consumption of food and/or drink, library staff will take appropriate action, including, if necessary, notifying the Department of Public Safety and/or the Chicago Police Department.
The DePaul University Library reserves the right to make exceptions to this policy as necessary and appropriate on a case-by-case basis.